Man accused of rape at Ft. Douglas

Lonnie Norton

A U computer technician is accused of raping a woman in Fort Douglas during the weekend.

Sandy City Police allege that Lonnie Dell Norton, a computer technician in the College of Humanities, kidnapped a woman with whom he was acquainted from her home in Sandy and held her at gunpoint at about 2 a.m. on Sunday. After driving her to a building on campus he had access to, he sexually assaulted her, said Sgt. John Arnold with Sandy City Police. Arnold also said Norton threatened to kill the woman and then himself, but was somehow talked down.

After driving her first to his home in Salt Lake City, Norton dropped the victim off at her home, where she called police at about 7:15 a.m. on Sunday, Arnold said. Norton was arrested and booked into the Salt Lake County Jail three hours later at about 10 a.m.

Arnold said Norton was booked on suspicion of aggravated burglary, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault and object rape, all first-degree felonies; aggravated assault and forcible sex abuse, both second-degree felonies; violating a protective order, a class A misdemeanor; and interruption of a communication device, a class B misdemeanor.

Charges are being screened with the Salt Lake County District Attorney. Arnold expects a formal filing of charges to come today or Wednesday.

Sgt. Garth Smith, public information officer for U Police, said the building was located in Fort Douglas but declined to elaborate. U Police is assisting Sandy City Police in the investigation by holding the crime scene until it can be fully processed.

A U spokesman said although they do not comment on personnel actions, “the University of Utah has no tolerance for use of its facilities in violation of University policy or the law,” and “employees who commit violent acts on University property are not eligible to remain employed at the University and will be excluded from campus.”

The Daily Utah Chronicle will report more details as they become available.