‘We believe in journalism’

Are you a devoted reader of The Daily Utah Chronicle? Do you go to our pages or to our website to find out what’s going on in your community? Maybe it’s the reporting on where your tuition dollars are going, or maybe it’s for the latest on Utah sports that keeps you coming to us. Maybe you’re a first-time reader, picking up the newspaper to see what we’re all about. Or maybe you’ve been a dedicated reader for years.

Do you support a campus where an independent newspaper represents the voice of the students? Do you support a hands-on learning experience for student journalists? Do you support a newspaper that’s written, photographed, designed and edited by students, for students?

Because we do.

The Chronicle has been a pillar of the U community since our founding in 1890 — six years before Utah even became a state. Since then, every Sunday through Thursday night, a dedicated group of students has convened somewhere on campus to produce our newspaper. They have classes, they have homework, they have midterms and finals and pop quizzes. They have other jobs, other commitments, they’re members of ASUU and the swim and dive team and the chess club. They have wives, husbands, girlfriends, boyfriends, best friends, parents, grandparents, cats, dogs. Like every other student on this campus, they have full and busy lives outside of the newspaper.

And despite hearing repeatedly, day in and day out that their craft is dying, that they’ll end up penniless, with useless skills in an unforgiving job market that isn’t interested in creative types, they still dutifully report to this newsroom every single day.

In 1914, Walter Williams wrote his famous Journalist’s Creed, starting ever so eloquently with this simple line: “I believe in the profession of Journalism.”

Regardless of how often you turn our pages, visit our website, or open our apps, know this: we believe in journalism. And we believe in students.

And we need your help.

On Friday, Feb. 21, the Student Media Council will be holding an open meeting at 9 a.m. in LNCO 1100 to discuss possible changes to our organization. We’re calling it a “shark tank” meeting — we’re soliciting ideas from both the U community and from journalism circles around the state about what we can change in our organization.

We’re open to adapting. We’re open to modernization. But if you, like all of us, believe in student journalism, and if you believe in The Chronicle, we need you to be at this meeting.

We’ve been your voice since 1890, and we will continue to be as long as we can be. But now we need you to be our voice, too.

If you would like to submit ideas or suggestions for how The Chronicle could change, please email me at the address listed below.

By doing so, you’ll show that you, too, believe in the profession of journalism.

e.andrews@chronicle.utah.edu