Utah looking to win home opener vs. Boise State

Utah goal keeper Lindsey Luke earned Pac-12 player of the week for her shutouts against Oregon and Oregon State on Oct. 4 and 6 respectively. // Brent Uberty

Utah started out its season last weekend on a positive note.  The Utes embarked on the road and returned with two positive results. This weekend they will try to add two more wins as they open their home schedule.

Head coach Rich Manning would like to continue the good things he saw from the previous weekend.

“I thought we were really good in our build up and our possession phases,” Manning said. “And I thought we defended very well higher up the field.”

Currently the Utes have an unbeaten streak of two and odds are Utah will keep its streak alive as they play both Boise State and Cal State Northridge over the weekend. Dating back to last season, the Utes currently have an unbeaten streak of 12 games at home.

Even though Manning has a home field advantage, he would still like to see some improvement on both ends of the field.

“I think it’s a lot of the details, especially in front of our own goal and in front of the opponent’s goal,” Manning said. “Defending in our penalty box, dealing with situations that come up when the team is down on our end. I think we have to go over that some more to be where we need to be with the strategy. Then in front of the other teams goal, how are we going to get more goals and more opportunities.”

Senior forward Ashton Hall pointed out the connection between the defense, midfield and forwards needs to be cleaned up as well.

In the past, Utah has had a strong midfield, which is essential to winning soccer games. This strength is aided by the powerful play from senior Katie Taylor, who has a goal and a pair of assists this season. Taylor is joined in the midfield by senior Avery Jenkins and junior Kaycee Buckley, as well as sophomore Katie Rigby. The Utes’ midfield has provided the team with an offensive spark already in the short season as Jenkins is the only starting midfielder that is yet to find the back of the net.

The offensive production coming from the midfield has been needed, as they have produced all three Utah goals this season.

Utah has a strong keeper in junior Lindsey Luke, but a good goalie is worthless if she does not have strong defenders in front of her. The Utes lost senior defender Jenny Hutton to graduation and finding her replacement at outside back will be crucial for this season’s success.

Manning will be counting on sophomore Audrey Gibb to replace Hutton in 2014. Gibb is joined by juniors Nykell Seymour and Megan Trabert and senior Sarah Duncan as the starting back four in front of Luke.

After starting the season with two positive results on the road, the Utes are ready to make their home debut.

“We are super excited,” Hall said. “I feel like I have invited more people to this game than I have any other game. We are a great home team and we want to keep the undefeated record for the season too.”

Utah will take on the Broncos Friday at 7:30p.m. then after a day of rest the squad will play the Matadors in a day game on Sunday at 1:00 p.m.

@dominic2295