Alternative Fall Breaks Coming Soon

(Photo Courtesy of Lacey Holmes/The Bennion Center)

While many U students spend their fall and spring breaks going on vacation or catching up on sleep, students involved in the Alternative Breaks program through the Bennion Center spend their time giving back to the community.
The Alternative Fall Break program, established 17 years ago, gives students at the U an opportunity to work with service organizations both in and outside of Utah and experience real issues they might not otherwise have the chance to experience. Many resoruces provided by the Bennion Center on alternative breaks come from the Center for Student Wellness.
Kris Fenn, alternative break coordinator, said she thinks it is important for students to get involved in programs such as alternative breaks.
“These trips are a once in a lifetime opportunity for student growth in multiple arenas,” Fenn said. “Not only do students receive a significant amount of knowledge and education on the trip around the trip topic, students [also] report they are more likely to engage in community service in the future and come back with an increased appreciation for those with backgrounds or experiences different than their own.”
Fenn said experiences students have and bonds they form with each other during alternative break trips often go beyond the span of the trips themselves.
Lacey Holmes, public relations coordinator for the Bennion Center, said the memories students make on these trips are long-term.
“Break may last a week, but the memories last a lifetime,” Holmes said. “The trips bring together a group of students who normally would not meet and allow them to form lasting bonds of friendship that they will take with them long after the trip is over.”
There are seven upcoming trips planned for this fall break. These include homelessness, hunger and food justiceboth in Seattle, community health in Vancouver, marine conservation in Santa Cruz, identity and environmental exploration in the San Rafael Swell, urban environmentalism in Portland and youth empowerment and education in Albuquerque.
Two spots remain for the youth empowerment and education trip in Albuquerque, New Mexico. This trip will allow volunteers to mentor youth on their path to higher education, engage in leadership building activities and share personal experiences of success in college. Last minute registration for the trip closes this Friday.
While most trips being offered for fall break have reached capacity, students can start applying for a trip with the Alternative Spring Break program this Saturday, Sept. 20. Applications and more information for spring break trips can be found on the Bennion Center’s website.
@mary_royal