SLC music scene guarantees entertainment of all genres

Salt Lake’s music scene has been on a steady incline the past few years, putting Utah on the map as a destination point for headlining tours. With no signs of slowing down, nights out on the town are filled with events and concerts to entertain the masses. EnergySolutions Arena has seen the likes of P!nk, Katy Perry and Taylor Swift. Thursday nights in the summer find Salt Lake gathered at Pioneer Park, enjoying the Twilight Concert Series. Presented by the SLC Arts Council, everyone eagerly awaits the announcement of the lineup each year, hoping their favorite band will make an appearance. The Utah State Fair park hosts Vans Warped Tour in the heat of summer, a collaboration of metal, rock, indie and punk all drenched in enough sweat and Red Bull to last until the next year. Things don’t slow down when school begins, and fall provides a perfect transition into one of the best seasons for music. Besides the 20+ local venues SLC boasts, large events are planned to captivate audiences in every genre. Most headlining tours begin in the summer and travel through the fall, making their way across the states. With SLC becoming a stopping point, there is plenty to do during the fall season. Here are some events to look forward to in the coming months.

This year, Pinback will celebrate the 10th anniversary of their third album “Summer in Abaddon,” released through Touch and Go Records. Their North American Tour stops at The Depot (400 W. South Temple) on Sept. 24th. The San Diego duo has entertained audiences since 1998 and is sure to please on that Wednesday night. Doors open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 8 p.m. Tickets are $16 in advance and $20 the day of. The venue is open to ages 21 and older.

Remember that song “Bulletproof?” Popular English synth pop band La Roux performs in the Venue on Friday, Sept. 26th, from 6 to 10 p.m. Their self-titled album “La Roux,” released in 2009, won a Grammy, and their single, “Bulletproof,” has 2,324,000 downloads in the U.S. Tickets are $22 in advance, $27 the day of. All ages welcome.

Icelandic sensation Ásgeir treats Utah to his melodic folk music Oct. 24th at The State Room (638 State Street). NPR premiered his video for “King and Cross” in July, and he was an overnight star in his homeland. His album even beat out fellow star Sigur Rós. Doors open at 8 p.m., showtime at 9 p.m. Tickets are $18, and the concert is open to ages 21 and older.

One of the largest concerts to happen in Salt Lake City each fall occurs right here on our campus. Redfest is put on by our very own ASUU each September and is free for students with your UCard. With additional tickets only $5, students can bring friends to enjoy the concert that is B.o.B. on the Union Lawn from 5:30 p.m. — 10:30 p.m. this Friday, Sept. 19.

And if none of those bands tickle your fancy, any of these venues, and others (The Complex, USANA, Saltair, Urban Lounge, Kilby Court and Red Butte, to name a few) will have quite a few events worth attending. For plenty of concerts to attend in any genre for all avid music-lovers, visit the websites of these and other venues that keep SLC entertained all year long.

@ChronyArts