Utes look to improve turnover game, rely on defense when they take it to the Big House

— Brent Uberty

The glaring weakness in the Utes’ first two games of the 2014 campaign has been their inability to create takeaways. Utah has forced just one turnover in the short season, something head coach Kyle Whittingham says needs to change if the Utes are to compete in the grueling schedule that lies ahead.
“Turnover battle is huge, every week,” Whittingham said. “Right now we’re even on the turnover margin … My guess is whoever wins the turnover margin will win this game.”
The even turnover margin can be credited to the Utes’ offense and specifically to quarterback Travis Wilson. After some turnover-laden days last season, the junior signal caller has yet to commit a turnover this season. He credits that to the new offense that offensive coordinator Dave Christensen has installed.
“With this new offense, it’s easy to find easy throws,” Wilson said. “[I’m] really confident in where to go with the football. It’s really a great help to have the guys I have out there, they always find ways to get open.”
Some Utah fans may still be haunted by games last season where the Utes’ fate was decided by a late Wilson interception. However, the quarterback is motivated to avoid those costly mistakes and allow the Utes to find success.
“[I just need to] keep on playing how I’ve been playing,” Wilson said. “Make easy throws, make smart decisions with it, know when to throw it away and if I want to throw it in a tight window make sure I put it in a spot only our guy can catch it.”

Orchard’s expanding role
Though the Utes haven’t forced many turnovers, that doesn’t mean they aren’t making impact plays on the defensive end. Utah currently is first in the nation in sacks per game, averaging 5.5 per contest. The Utes also are tied for the national lead in tackles for loss per game with 10.5.
Leading that charge is defensive end, now part-time outside linebacker, Nate Orchard.
In Utah’s win against Fresno State, Orchard moved from his regular DE position and played some OLB in much the same role ex-Ute and current New York Jets OLB Trevor Reilly filled last season.
“Right now [Orchard’s] going to be able to play outside linebacker in our base package, which we haven’t found ourselves much in this season, or last season,” Whittingham said. “But Michigan, with some of their personnel groupings, Nate will be playing a little bit of linebacker.”
With a defense that may be lacking big time playmakers, Orchard’s contributions at both positions will be a key to the Utes’ success this season.
“He’s probably the premier playmaker in the front seven, and so far he’s as advertised,” Whittingham said. “We needed him to come this year with the mindset that he’s going to be one of the best pass rushers and edge players in the Pac-12 conference, and he’s off to a good start.”

Back to the “Big House”
Flashback to 2008, when Utah went into Michigan for its season opener and defeated the Wolverines 25-23. That game helped jump-start an undefeated season that ended with a victory over Alabama in the Sugar Bowl.
The Michigan contest was one of, if not the, biggest game of the regular season. That’s not the case six years later.
“Storied programs — USC, UCLA — we play them every year now, so that’s nothing new to us,” Whittingham said. “A few years back this would have been the highlight game of the year, but playing in the Pac-12, it’s week in and week out, it’s just another one of a lot of challenges that are on the schedule.”
Even so, the Utes know that with a national ESPN/ABC audience it is a big game to show their legitimacy as a team and program.
“I’m really excited,” Wilson said. “I think it’s a great opportunity for this team and for this program, and hopefully we can make some good memories after Saturday.”

Road woes
Saturday marks the first road game of the year for the Utes — to a place that didn’t treat the Utes too kindly a season ago.
In 2013, the Utes went 1-4 away from Rice-Eccles and 0-4 outside of the state of Utah. Wilson feels the lessons learned from the road defeats will help his team this weekend and throughout the year.
“I think we learned from all the away games we lost,” Wilson said. “There were games that we didn’t come out fast, didn’t come out prepared, but I think we have done a great job in handling everything. I think this season we’ll be just fine when we head out on the road.”
@millerjryan