Local artists would be better choice for Redfest than big-name bands

On Sept. 19 at 5:30 p.m., students will congregate on the Union lawn for an activity much more exciting than the usual afternoon naps. Each year, ASUU organizes Redfest, a festival and concert during the first few weeks of school in which both new and old U students can relax and enjoy the last days of summer and listen to popular music. Artists booked in the past — such as Karmin, Matisyahu, Andy Grammer, AWOLNATION and this year’s B.o.B. — are familiar names to most U students. In addition to bigger artists, the U also hires lesser-known musicians to open up the concert. Though this system has worked in the past, it is not the most effective use of resources. It is undoubtedly expensive to organize the event, and while I am sure the night is always executed efficiently, there is a more cost-effective and diverse option for the music presented at Redfest. Instead of spending so much money to book one “big” artist for Redfest, the U should exhibit local musicians, especially U students, in order to accommodate diverse tastes in music while also supporting and making use of local talent.

Hiring local talent would cost less than the outrageous fees most popular artists charge for just a few hours of performing. The U could book numerous groups or musicians with the money it takes to hire just one of these famous artists. In addition, having more than one group perform would diversify the entire event, making the evening more exciting than it has been in the past. It is impossible to please everyone, but we can at least cater to students’ varying tastes. Personally, there are a few genres of music I would not listen to by choice (ahem, country), but what about the students who might not appreciate the main artist the U books that year? If more than one style of music were exhibited, the concert would attract a larger audience and would be more enjoyable. For example, a rapper could perform before an acoustic set, followed by a rock band and ending with, I concede, a country singer. We are a diverse student body with diverse tastes, and school events such as Redfest should portray that characteristic.

The U is lucky to have such talented and musically inclined students and should showcase that on a broader, more public scene. Our state in its entirety is home to several talented, now-famous musicians that include Neon Trees, Meg & Dia and Imagine Dragons. These groups may be globally known now, but this success would have been impossible if local venues hadn’t given them a chance to perform. The U is a place where students of all backgrounds and walks of life can pursue their interests, and if concerts on campus truly serve to treat the student population, they can prove it by playing music that caters to our diversity.