“Nice Work If You Can Get It” brings the Roaring Twenties to Capitol Theatre

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]Courtesy of Jeremy Daniel
While the majority of us can only dream of what it would have been like to experience the flash and glitz of the Roaring Twenties, the chance to see a recreation of that bygone era is coming soon from the bright lights of Broadway to Salt Lake City. The Tony-winning musical comedy “Nice Work If You Can Get It” is swinging its way onto the stage of Capitol Theatre along with girls, glamour and a plethora of classic songs from the legendary George and Ira Gershwin.
“Nice Work” is a new musical that made its debut on Broadway in April of 2012, and after nearly 478 performances, it’s embarking on a national tour that will bring its riotous song and dance spectacle to Capitol Theatre Sept. 23-28. “Nice Work” is a visual marvel that brings to life the fun-loving times of the Prohibition era in New York City through catchy tunes, outrageous humor and a healthy dose of swing dancing. “Nice Work” comes to town on the heels of the popular “Wicked” and provides theatre fans with yet another musical that truly embodies the Broadway experience.
“We wanted ‘Nice Work’ on our season because it is what people think of when they think of a Broadway musical,” said Bruce Granath, vice president of marketing for Capitol Theatre. “It’s a big, colorful show filled with the music of George and Ira Gershwin. It’s full of life and energy.”
Granath compares “Nice Work” favorably to “Wicked,” saying both shows have strong scores from different eras. While “Wicked” is story-driven, “Nice Work” is a celebration of singing, dancing and some of the best songs ever written.
“Most of the songs in ‘Nice Work’ have been covered hundreds of times by artists from every possible musical genre in every country on earth,” Granath said. “The Gershwins will get your toes tapping no matter what your age or background is.”
The musical follows the story of wealthy playboy, Jimmy Winter, whose womanizing and boozing ways finally catch up with him when he meets his match in Billie Bendix. Hilarity and confusion ensue as Billie uses her charm on the egotistic Jimmy to find a place to hide her stash of illegal liquor. “Nice Work” draws on a strong storyline, combined with witty banter and catchy songs, which have sprung this musical to success on Broadway and on to its first national tour.
“Nice Work” is a great way for college students to spend an entertaining evening downtown and check their worries at the door, Granath said. “Being a college student is all about trying new things,” he said. “Take advantage of the student price, and bring someone who has never been to a musical.”
Tickets are on sale at saltlakecity.broadway.com and at Capitol Theatre ticket offices. Don’t miss out on a chance to experience the Roaring Twenties through the catchy tunes of the Gershwin brothers in a production that Granath calls, “Broadway bliss tied up in a bow.”
@ChronyArts
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][vc_column][/vc_column][/vc_row]