Utah needs to take a stand on climate change

Climate change was the go-to topic last week, which began with marches around the globe and culminated in speeches at the U.N. Utah saw its own march, with several dozen citizens gathering in downtown Salt Lake City on Sept. 21. Utahns should be prompt in considering their own environmental concerns in response.

Utah may not be at the cutting edge of the international political discussion, but we have our own intimate problems. Water usage and needs are a perpetual concern in Utah. Projections of a shrinking cryosphere should concern not only winter recreationists (skiers and snowboarders should consider contributing to the efforts of organizations such as Protect Our Winters) but also the population at large in Utah. Nevada is continually vying for our water rights, and it’s a certainty that the state population (and correlated water needs) will continue to increase.

Local instances of pollution that impact the watershed are of the utmost concern. For example, Utahns should be concerned about development projects in mountain watershed terrain (e.g. Ski Utah’s “One Wasatch”) that might affect early snowmelt. U geology graduate Olivia Miller has done research that indicates local pollution events, such as off-road vehicles kicking up dust or wildfires producing ash, affect the melting behavior of the snowpack.

Utah’s climate has been taken advantage of by heavy industry. A plant operated by US Magnesium was once owned by heavier polluter MagCorp. MagCorp ceased to operate the plant in the late 1990s after the EPA cited the plant as being the nation’s worst air polluter, and the business claimed bankruptcy protection in a federal lawsuit (that claimed nearly $1 billion for environmental infractions). Since then, the plant’s air pollution has decreased but has continued to take heat from the EPA over its apparent underreporting of “unexpected pollution episodes.”

In addition to recognizing that state-wide environmental regulations are neither stringent nor carefully enforced, the Utah electorate should be aware that a vocal majority in its state government is continually working to appropriate federal lands. Groups like Southern Utah Wilderness Alliance are working to conserve public lands, but taxation of private sector developments such as mineral resource projects is a lucrative enough incentive to keep state politicians brokering for state control of federal lands.

Utahns should bear in mind their diverse local environmental problem set when going to the voting booth. Perhaps more importantly, state citizens should gain an understanding of what they stand to lose. There are some museums that explain Utah’s environmental concerns (The Leonardo in downtown SLC is currently running an exhibit that focuses on water conservation), but getting out of doors in Utah’s fantastic and unique scenery should leave a strong impression on anyone as to what is at stake. We should value our beautiful state as being more than a temporary resource.