Utes gear up for big showdown with No. 3 Washington

— Chris Ayers

When the Utes travel to Washington this weekend, the Utah freshmen will have some added responsibility. On road trips, the Ute newcomers are tasked with the job of caring for the team’s equipment.

At the beginning of the season, head coach Beth Launiere told her freshmen that they were accountable for getting the team’s gear and equipment through security and on to the plane when the team traveled.

“They’re doing better. Early on it was a little touch and go, they were forgetting things and the upperclassmen were gently reminding them,” Launiere said. “The last couple of trips they’ve been on top of it and are doing a much better job.”

Freshman Eliza Katoa said earlier in the season that she was usually the one to mess up the process due to her excitement.

“I haven’t forgotten stuff and I have been doing my job, I take the equipment where I’m supposed to,” Katoa said.

The improved freshmen will get a new challenge on the Washington road trip as freshman Jessie Jorgensen will not travel for an undisclosed reason and is being replaced by fellow freshman McCall Phillips. Phillips has yet to travel with the Utes, but the team is confident she will be up to the task.

“McCall will be just fine, McCall’s a responsible kid,” Launiere said.

Katoa echoed Launiere’s statement saying Phillips is always “on top of everything.”

Redshirt freshman Carly Trueman was able to dodge caring for the equipment a season ago as she sat out the year with an injury. Though technically still a freshman, Trueman has once again been able to avoid the travel responsibilities. At least three true freshmen have traveled on every road trip this season and Trueman has been more than happy to let them deal with the equipment.

Upon landing in Seattle, the freshmen will turn their attention away from the gear and back to the court where their coach will need their full effort. The youngsters will be facing No. 3 Washington for the first time in their careers before traveling to Pullman to play in one of Pac-12’s toughest road venues against Washington State.

Washington is unblemished on the season with a 19-0 record that includes nine Pac-12 wins. The Huskies got to the final four last year behind 2013 AVCA National Player of the Year Krista Vansant and she once again leads Washington.

With Vansant getting the majority of the balls, the Washington offense at times can become predictable, as opposed to a team like Stanford who has three or four attackers that can get the ball on each possession.

“On paper it should be easier to stop one player rather than a balanced offense,” Launiere said. “But she is really good.”

After facing undefeated Washington, the Utes will head west to face the win-less Cougars. Last year the Cougars and Utes split the season series, with the home team winning each of the matches.

“At their house, they play really well there,” Kalee Kirby said. “We have to be prepared, despite them not having any wins.”

Both Kirby and libero Lea Adolph said the Washington State match is a must win for the Utes.

The Utes open their four match road swing on Friday at the Alaska Airlines Center in Seattle against the Huskies. First serve is set for 9 p.m. and the match will be broadcast on the Pac-12 Network.

@BenJasarevic