U Engineers Design Better Bomb Detection Devices

(Photo Courtesy of Dan Hixon, University of Utah College of Engineering)

Engineers at the U have created a new technology to detect gases, explosives and drugs.
The science behind the technology utilizes carbon nanotube materials that are handheld and will be used during detection. Miao Xu, a postdoctoral fellow in materials science and engineering, first proposed the project and played an active role in its development.
“Our lab has been working on innovative sensing technology for explosives for nearly a decade,” Xu said. “We are always trying to incorporate novel basic science, materials and technology into our explosive detection methods.”
Ling Zang, professor of nanotechnology, supervised the project.
“My lab has been working for years on organic nanofibers,” Zang said, “that can be used as chemiresistor sensors for trace vapor detection of various chemical threats, including explosives, toxic industry chemicals and drugs.”
In essence, the new detector is more sensitive and able to scan quickly for dangerous materials. When exposed to different chemicals, the electrical current of the device activates and allows the user to identify what the danger is.
Ben Bunes, a Ph.D. student in material science and engineering, performed much of the lab work and saw the importance of bringing this new technology out.
“There are two main applications for this material. The first is detecting explosives … The other application area is solar energy,” Bunes said.
The new technology, however, is not without its obstacles. Bunes said not all of the pieces of the solar cells are as clear as would be preferred. Despite these difficulties, the device will play an active role in detection for national security.
“With the new material we have developed, a low-cost, portable detector is now possible,” Bunes said. “This has huge implications for airport and border security, as well as for our soldiers on the ground.”
@ArevaloStefani