Let Capitol Theatre’s “The Grinch” Steal Your Christmas

[vc_row][vc_column][vc_column_text]— Courtesy of Magic Space Entertainment
With Halloween out of the way and the smell of turkey and stuffing teasing your nostrils, it’s never too early to start thinking about Christmas. Unless, of course, you happen to have a heart that’s two sizes too small, shoes that are too tight or a head that isn’t screwed on just right. So assuming you don’t suffer from these seasonal symptoms, you might be thrilled to know that the hit musical based on the Dr. Seuss classic How The Grinch Stole Christmas is sweeping down the steep slopes of the Wasatch Range faster than a dog-led sled into Salt Lake City’s Capitol Theatre for a limited engagement.
The musical version of “Grinch” has steadily increased in popularity since it made its debut in 1994 on the main stage of Minneapolis’s Children’s Theatre Company and quickly made the transition to Broadway. Since 2008, “Grinch” has embarked on a series of national tours that have been selling out in cities all across the country. The musical builds on the original story by Dr. Seuss and expands on characters like the Grinch’s pet dog Max, who gets a more lively role in the stage production.
Andreas Wyder, who is returning for his second year with the tour as Young Max, brings a youthful energy to an expanded role that includes singing, dancing and tumbling around the stage as a faithful companion to the Grinch while trying to convince him to embrace the Christmas spirit.
“This show is, technically, just beautiful. The costumes, the makeup, the set, the props, everything is right out of the Dr. Seuss world, and it brings Whoville to life in a cool new magical way,” said Wyder. “The show is about love, acceptance and finding the real meaning of Christmas, which really touches people emotionally. It really is an amazing spectacle of a show with a beautiful, truthful story.”
Wyder’s role of Young Max is a challenge. Not only is he creating a character that has the expanded role of being the moral caretaker of the Grinch, but it also requires an incredible amount of physicality as well.
“It’s so much fun, it’s really incredible. With this role I get to do everything I could ever want to do. I’m doing acrobatics, cartwheels and rolling around on stage, all while singing and dancing,” said Wyder. “The physicality of the role is demanding, and a big part of the rehearsal process for me was learning to build up my stamina of singing while dancing like a crazy man all over the stage.”
Another exciting aspect of being part of the “Grinch” cast is the opportunity for Wyder to work with Stefan Karl, who plays the Grinch, and has played the role since the show began touring in 2008.
“A fun part about this show is working with Stefan Karl because he will keep you on your toes,” said Wyder. “He is an improv comedy master, so getting to always be on stage with him throughout the show is so fun for me. He keeps it fresh every day, so it’s like, I can’t go on auto pilot because he never does.”
Karl’s role was made popular most recently by Jim Carrey in the 2000 big screen version of “How the Grinch Stole Christmas.” However, much like any accomplished actor, Karl goes to great lengths to give the stage version of the Grinch his own personal touch.
“What Stefan does can’t be compared to anything because he has done the role from the musical’s inception,” said Wyder. “The role is so close to his heart and soul. He really is the Grinch on stage, and he brings it to life in a way that no one has ever seen it before.”
Wyder also relates that one of the most magical aspects of the show is seeing how the audience responds to the story.
“If you love a spectacle, you’re going to get a spectacle. The Grinch is a hilarious, lovable character, it’s a lot of fun, the music is great, the dancing is awesome and the costumes are incredible,” said Wyder. “If you loved the Jim Carrey movie or the cartoon, you’re going to love this show. It’s just the Grinch in a way you have never seen him before, and its just so much fun for everyone.”
“Dr. Seuss’ How The Grinch Stole Christmas! The Musical” will be showing in Salt Lake City from Nov. 18 to 23 with four performances on Saturday, Nov. 22 as well as two showings on Sunday, Nov. 23. Tickets can be purchased at the Capitol Theatre box office and online at arttix.org.
@ChronyArts
[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]