Runnin’ Utes spend Thanksgiving with the team in preparation for tourney

— Chris Samuels

With the Thanksgiving holiday comes turkey, stuffing, pie and more, but for the Runnin’ Utes, Thanksgiving also brings more basketball. Utah will be hosting Texas-Pan American, Alabama State and North Dakota in a Thanksgiving tournament that will span four days this weekend.
While some of the current players are used to being away from home, for some of the freshmen, it’ll be a new experience to celebrate the holiday away from their hometowns.
“You always miss your family, especially from Michigan, over 1,000 miles away,” said redshirt freshman Kyle Kuzma. “I feel like it’s another family here, so it kind of equals out.”
And that’s exactly what the Utes are — a family. Utah head coach Larry Krystkowiak has mentioned time after time how this year’s squad has a closeness that has been missing in years past. During the holiday, Krystkowiak said there won’t be a huge dinner with the team but that he will make sure everyone is accounted for.
“This is a close group, and we spend a lot of time as a group,” he said. “What we’ve done is make sure every player has a place to go … Sometimes it’s a good opportunity to get away from your team environment.”
Freshman Isaiah Wright is one of the newcomers spending his first Thanksgiving away from home. Though the point guard hails from Boise, Idaho, Wright will be celebrating in Salt Lake City because of the tournament — but he won’t be alone.
“My family is actually on their way here right now — they’re going to come down and watch my games,” Wright said. “They actually rented a little condo in Park City, so we’re going to have a Thanksgiving dinner there.”
Since Idaho is so close, it is an easy road trip for Wright’s family, but that isn’t the case for all of the players.
Kuzma is from Flint, Mich. and hardly ever gets to go back home. Because of that, the forward will be spending his Thanksgiving with Wright and his family.
“His family is kinda like my second family,” Kuzma said.
Kuzma is coming off of a strong performance against UC Riverside, leading all scorers with 19 points. The forward was making seemingly impossible shot after impossible shot. Kuzma looks to continue his hot shooting streak in Utah’s first game of the tournament against Texas-Pan American.
“Actually, before that [UC Riverside] game, my shot was off — airballing and all types of misses,” Kuzma said. “After that, I’ve been shooting it pretty well, so … hopefully it stays.”
The Runnin’ Utes are scheduled to tip off against the Broncs tonight night at 6 p.m. MT.

@GriffDoug