U Joins National Campaign to Fight Sexual Assaults

The U joined the national “It’s On Us” campaign that’s looking to end sexual assaults at colleges and universities.
The campaign began in September as a White House awareness initiative created by President Barack Obama but has expanded beyond that with national partners, including the Pac-12. “It’s On Us” hopes to spread the message that “non-consensual sex is sexual assault” through four tenets: recognize, identify, intervene and create. On the initiative’s website, itsonus.org, there is a section where people can pledge to uphold that.
The U, officially joining in November, is one of nearly 200 colleges that have entered the campaign. Florence Fernandez, ASUU senior class president, said the U hopes to partner the program with the Center for Student Wellness, University Marketing & Communications and University of Utah Athletics. ASUU also plans to invite students and faculty to take the pledge.
“Ending sexual assault is a tough battle,” Fernandez said. “We need a shift in our campus climate in order to make this campus safe for everyone.”
She said starting the conversation about sexual assault is hard, but it’s a step toward solving the problem. Fernandez wants students to take the pledge and start talking about this on campus.
Samah Safiullah, an undeclared freshman, has already pledged with “It’s On Us.” She wants to spread awareness about the need for a sexually safe environment.
“I believe that the U should fully support any organization which is against sexual assault on campus,” Safiullah said. “Awareness helps everybody realize what consent is, what is appropriate and what isn’t.”
@chriswritine