Students Don’t Know What ASUU Did Fall Semester

(Photo by Brent Uberty)
(Photo by Brent Uberty)

ASUU is wrapping up Fall Semester and getting ready for spring, leaving many students curious about what has been accomplished thus far.
Officials within student government refused to respond to questions regarding where the money from this semester went and how much is left for next semester.
Laurie Verreault, a senior in sociology, said she thinks ASUU is not as open about what they do as they should be.
“I don’t follow them very closely, but as student government they should be more apparent,” Verreault said.
MacLane Taggart, a senior in accounting and a first year council advisor, said he has been in ASUU since Fall 2013 and thinks this semester was one of the most successful for the student board.
“As far as my board, we did an incredible haunted hallway, and it was the most successful it has ever been,” Taggart said. “It was an awesome opportunity to give first-year students control and power over an event and gave them so much confidence.”
ASUU also started a new mentor program this semester, Taggart said.
“Every first-year member gets a mentor in ASUU, and it’s been really positive,” he said. “Everyone thinks it is really great to be able to pick the brain of others on campus.”
Some students who are not in ASUU said they feel in the dark about what ASUU does with its money.
Courtney Zaffino, a sophomore in biology, said she doesn’t know where to look to find out what ASUU is up to.
“I feel like there should be more advertising,” Zaffino said. “If you don’t follow their social media, you don’t really know what is going on.”
ASUU is completely funded by student fees, Taggart said. He said it is important for students to take action with their money.
“Every student has a stake and partial ownership of what ASUU does,” Taggart said. “And with that ownership comes the responsibility to make it your own. Every student should be attending events and asking questions.”
Many members of ASUU are also involved in Greek life, and Zaffino said she thinks it’s important to have representation of all students on campus.
“I’m not Greek, but I think it is important to have both Greeks and non-Greeks alike in ASUU so the government can hear both sides of the campus communities,” Zaffino said.
Verreault said she thinks that Greek life has an impact on student government.
“I can see a lot of Greek life influence in ASUU,” Verreault said. “And I think it would be better to have more diversity and have different aspects.”
During Spring Semester, ASUU holds fewer events, and Taggart said he is looking to change this.
“Fall Semester is over-programmed … whereas in the spring we are severely under-programmed,” Taggart said. “Next semester will be more unique — we’re turning over complete control of the board and the programming to the members of the council. We, as advisors, will solely be there to provide resources and advice so they will be able to recognize the needs of campus.”
@JulianneSkrivan