ASUU Fills Holes in Student Assembly

(Photo by Chris Samuels)
(Photo by Chris Samuels)
(Photo by Chris Samuels)

Recently there were some missing pieces in the ASUU assembly.

Four students representing the College of Humanities left ASUU, citing they had too much on their plates, such as extra courses and heavier work schedules, and didn’t want to take shirk their duties to ASUU by not being able to fully commit to their positions.

Madison Black, vice president of ASUU, said the open positions have since been filled.

“We never like to see students [in ASUU] leave,” Black said. “[But] students from the College of Humanities don’t need to worry; they still have representation at our sub-committee and general assembly meetings that are held weekly.”

The Assembly is part of the legislative branch in ASUU. As such it is responsible for representing U students. According to the ASUU website, assembly members “allocate funds for students, oversee executive branch activities and work on university policy issues that impact students.”

Some students within the College of Humanities were widely unaware of the changes that had been made to their representation within the College of Humanities assembly. Upon learning about the changes that had occurred, Courtney Savage, a junior in communication, was relieved to hear the assembly spots had been filled and her voice would continued to be heard and represented within ASUU. She said the College of Humanities is an important part of the U campus and deserves to have a say in the legislation that is passed on campus.

“The College of Humanities represents a large group of students at the U,” Savage said. “As a group of students we are usually very involved in a lot of other activities on campus, so it makes sense that the previous representatives had time conflicts.”

Black said students across campus should know that ASUU made every effort to get the spots filled as soon as possible.

“Business will continue as usual,” Black said. “The meetings will continue with full representation, and we wish our former College of Humanities assembly representatives nothing but the best.”

@mary_royal