Successes over Denver give Utah swim and diving team a confidence boost

The Utah swimming and diving team split its dual meet against Denver on Friday, Jan. 23, at the Ute Natatorium, with the men winning, 178-120, and the women falling, 156-144.

The Utah men claimed 11 first-place finishes and claimed their first win against Denver since 2006. With the victory the Utes improved to 8-0 on the season.

“We have a great rivalry [against Denver],” said Utah head coach Joe Dykstra. “I have a lot of respect for what they do, and I’m really pleased with how hard we fought. With the men to come away with a dominating win and for the women to come up just shy, and we were a little shorthanded, I was really pleased with the effort.”

Kristian Kron displayed his dominance finishing first in three events, the 100-yard and 200-yard backstroke events, and the 400-yard individual medley.

“In two previous years he’s never won an event against Denver,” Dykstra said. “He’s had some ups and downs but has really found his groove in training over the past three weeks. He put his races away in the last 25.”

Kron also teamed up with Jack Burton, Alex Fernandes and Nick Soedel to win the 400-medley relay. Soedel also took first in the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle. The men later took the top three spots in the 50-yard freestyle, with Fernandes claiming the win.

“I think it was a big confidence boost to a lot of the guys who are seeing the fruits of their training starting to pay off in races,” Dykstra said.

Although the Utah women took first in seven events, they still dropped the meet to Denver and fell to 3-6 on the season.

Stina Colleou was able to show her strength on the women’s side as she claimed two first-place finishes, one in the 200-yard breaststroke, and the other in the 100-yard breaststroke. While she appeared to have a strong day, Dykstra said otherwise.

“She had a bit of a rough day, by her standards,” Dykstra said. “Stina’s standards are very high, but I think you saw some fatigue with how hard I’ve been pushing her in training. Even when she’s not at her best, she still puts up some big points for us.”

Other notables on the women’s side were Petra Soininen, taking first in the 200-yard butterfly and second in the 100-yard butterfly, and Maddie Jamora taking first in the 50-yard freestyle. The women also claimed first in the 200-yard freestyle relay with help from Jamora.

In the diving tank, the Utah women were able to best Denver, outscoring them 32-6. Lauren Hall claimed her first collegiate victory, taking first in the one-meter and also took third in the three-meter, where Jasmine Matkovic took first. Amanda Casillas took second in both the one-meter and three-meter.

Jacob Crayne took the top spot in the men’s three-meter and second in the one-meter. Dykstra said the highlight from the meet was how the entire diving team performed.

“I’m really proud of the efforts the divers put forth,” Dykstra said. “To sweep both boards on the women’s side, and then for Jake to get second on one board and first on the other. They’ve come through a lot of injuries and adversity this year.”

@kbrenneisen