Crowd Pleaser Hozier performs unique concert

Photo by Chris Ayers
Photo by Chris Ayers

In a time where it seems like the only place one can see a major Grammy-nominated artist preform is in a large stadium, it’s refreshing when one such artist takes on a smaller, more intimate venue. Hozier was that artist last night. Preforming at the Depot, Hozier played a surprisingly low-key show for a man who has preformed with the renowned Annie Lennox.

CHECK THIS OUT: JAY OWENHOUSE BRINGS MAGIC TO CAPITOL THEATER

His opener, a singer by the name of Àsgeir, hails from Iceland. Though he does speak English extremely well, he preformed only half of his songs in English, choosing to sing the rest in his native tongue. However, despite the language difference, Àsgeir was the perfect choice to open for bluesy-folk singer Hozier. His music can be perfectly categorized as electronic folk; a genre I didn’t know existed until I’d heard it.

When Hozier took the stage, marking his Salt Lake debut, he was greeted with a roar of applause from the rambunctious audience, whose age ranged from young high schoolers to middle-aged couples. It was impossible to tell what age the majority of the crowd was because it was so evenly spread across all demographics. Furthermore, the small venue was packed from stage to exit, as people craned their necks to see the singer.

Hozier opened with the lively “Angel of Small Death and the Codeine Scene,” a rather upbeat song given the dreary name. The closing song was the most famous and met with the most applause: “Take Me to Church” had everyone in the crowd dancing and singing along while Hozier jumped around the stage with his electric guitar.

Throughout the concert, Hozier played a few songs then stopped and talked to the crowd, usually thanking them for their support. However, once he stopped to explain the next song he was going to play. It was a pleasant surprise to hear him talk about the meaning behind his song “In A Week.” The song isn’t just a cliché love song; it’s actually based on a field near his town in Eastern Ireland where bodies are constantly found after murderers dump them there. He preformed this song along another talented Irish singer/songwriter named Alana Henderson.

Hozier’s concert stood out amidst others because of his variation of songs. He played some songs with the band he was touring with, using an electric guitar, drums, and a ton of other instruments, but other songs he played alone, using just an acoustic guitar and his voice. This perfectly demonstrated his talent in writing both songs that make one want to dance, but also songs with a more somber tone.

At one point in the show, Hozier made a point to name one of his early inspirations, a blue singer named Skip James. He then went on to play one of James’s songs, “Illinois Blues.” It was refreshing to see a big artist pay tribute to the man who inspired him as a child.

Once Hozier finished playing his final song and left the stage, the audience chanted and clapped until he was forced to return. He picked up his guitar and played a few more songs, ending with the powerful “Work Song.” The audience cheered loudly while Hozier stood on the stage with a bashful grin.

Throughout the concert, he maintained an excited energy, though it was obvious at times that he was unused to the fame and attention he was receiving. He made sure to introduce the band and made the audience clap for them and his opening act at least twice throughout the show.

Such humility was a nice change from artists like Kanye West, who are so acclimated to huge amounts of fame and attention. One can only hope that as Hozier’s career goes even further, he retains the same bashful grin.

@ChronyArts