Clothesline Project gives abuse victims their voices

Jery Hansana a student studying Psychology looks at tshirts from the Clothesline project last semester. Photo by Brent Uberty.

A colorful display of student-designed T-shirts filled the Union Ballroom April 16 and 17 in an event that created awareness through art.
The Clothesline Project, which debuted at the U in April 2013, is an event dedicated to giving voices to those who have been affected by violence. Students wrote their thoughts and experiences with abuse in paint on the shirts.
“I felt like it really gave me a voice and started me on that path towards just being more vocal about this and not being afraid to talk about it,” said Kiera Gardner, a recent graduate in psychology who has participated in the event since its inception.
Gardner believes events like these are key to increasing public awareness.
Braxton Dutson, a senior in social work who organized the event, said it was designed to help the community more fully understand the scope of sexual assault, domestic violence and other abuses.
“We want the community to understand that this still a huge issue … Abuse of any kind needs to stop,” Dutson said. “This event helps give a voice to the victims of these crimes.”
The project featured more than 125 unique student T-shirt designs, ranging from memorials to protests to personal thoughts and experiences. Phrases such as “I will not be silent” and “stronger than ever” served to show the collective strength of victims who chose to express their ideas through their art.
The event is held semi-annually at the U in conjunction with National Domestic Violence Awareness month and National Sexual Assault Awareness month in October and April, respectively.
JulieAnn Bowden, South Valley Sanctuary spokesperson, spoke to students at the event, describing ways in which community members can come together to end abuse. Bowden said she believed increased awareness was paramount in eliminating abusive behavior.
Those who did not wish to design a shirt had the opportunity to view the works of others and gain additional information on how to prevent abuse.
Gardner said this project can be valuable to victims who are at any point in the healing phase.
“I think that when you go through something like that you have to find a way to express it,” Gardner said. “I think survivors have been very creative in finding a way to get people to listen and to peak their interest in wanting to become a part of this to put an end to it.”
Dutson hopes this event will encourage more people to take a stand against abuse.
“The hope is that individuals will see how much this really does hurt our community,” Dutson said. “We want people to stand up and stop the abuse.”