N-Geek-Week

Marriott Library offers yoga, puppy-petting, pizza

It is time to get your geek on, because Geek Week has returned for Spring Semester.

ASUU is partnering with the Marriott Library, the Union Programing Council and the Residence Hall Association to hold the weeklong end-of-the-semester event.

The Marriott Library will have extended hours during Geek Week and will remain open 24 hours a day from today until April 25 at 10 p.m. The library will open again at 9 a.m. on Saturday and remain open until 10 p.m. It will open once again on Sunday at noon and not close until April 30 at 6 p.m.

“This semester we are [changing] events as a result of student feedback and changing resources,” said Rachel Wootton, director of the Academic Affairs Board.

Parking validations will be available for students taking advantage of the library’s 24-hour schedule. Free pizza will also be provided to students every night at 8 p.m. in the library.

The second floor of the library will be home to yoga during Geek Week. Sessions will be held today, Wednesday and Thursday at 2 p.m.

“We have found that providing these resources the week before and the week of finals to students has generated a very favorable response,” said ASUU president Sam Ortiz.

Geek Week is meant to help students reduce stress during finals week. Therapy dogs will move throughout the first three floors of the library today through Thursday from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.

“Geek Week continues to evolve,” Wootton said. “[It’s our] support for students during finals.”

This year there will be a first-year student celebration in the Heritage Center. And ASUU will partner with UPC all week to provide study space, school supplies and snacks in the Union lounge.

“We have been able to collaborate with ASUU … to make Geek Week stronger on campus and foster a positive environment on campus as students prepare to take their final exams,” said Derek Deitsch, director of innovation at UPC.

ASUU’s Child Care Services will also be offering free child care to student parents throughout Geek Week to allow those parents time to study for finals.

“By offering free child care during Geek Week they are making an extra effort to enhance child care at the [U],” said Sara Seastrand, ASUU vice president. “ASUU child care does an amazing job to provide [for] the needs of student parents.”

ASUU will also be extending Geek Week to off-site campus locations. Hours were extended for the Sandy, Murray and Bountiful campuses on April 18 and 19 to allow students more time to study. Snacks were also provided at these locations. This is the second semester ASUU has extended Geek Week to these locations.

n.turner@chronicle.utah.edu 

@ChronyNathan