Multi-faith panel discusses peace

Panel members discussed world peace on Thursday afternoon in the College of Social Work building. Photo by Dane Goodwin.

For those willing to open their minds, peace may be just around the corner.
Students and faculty members attended a multi-faith discussion on peace this Thursday on campus.
David Derezotes, a professor in the College of Social Work, organized the event, which is part of a weekly class called Dialogue Models. Derezotes said he came up with the idea while talking to Pastor France Davis of the Calvary Baptist Church in Salt Lake City about how they could commemorate the assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr.
“I wanted to do some programs on inner peace and see what the link is between that idea — if it even exists — and world peace,” Derezotes said.
The discussion included a panel of six guests, each representing different faiths and ideologies, including Buddhism, Unitarian Universalism, Mormonism, atheism, Baptist Christian and other Christian beliefs. Attendees were also encouraged to join in the discussion.
The panel began with a series of questions revolving around peace and progressed as members of various cultural and theological backgrounds discussed their definitions of peace, both on a personal level and a worldwide scale. Conversation topics moved to various subjects tied to peace, such as lifestyle, religion, conflict management, ethics and love.
Jeffery Scott, a graduate student in social work, said he was impressed that although each of the panelists came from different backgrounds, they all shared certain views.
“There were a lot of similarities. I think everybody here understands you’ve got to treat each other well if you want to have joy,” Scott said. “If you want to have peace, especially the inner peace, you can’t get caught up in the differences. You have to look at the love.”
Although those who participated were able to find common ground concerning the nature of peace, each seemed to have a slightly different approach in attaining it. Derezotes said he felt intrigued by the way such different conceptions of peaceful living could be discussed with such civility and respect.
“The whole idea of the dialogue is to learn to listen to people who are different, and to listen for understanding rather than debate,” Derezotes said. “I thought people spoke not only from their heads, but also from their hearts.”
Derezotes said the discussion was also an opportunity to create awareness for a new multi-faith student group on campus. Although such groups have been established in the past, they have dissipated as former students have graduated and left the university. Derezotes hopes this group will allow students to once again collaborate and share their ideas with one another in a constructive group setting.
Similar peace discussions will run throughout the year and feature other relevant guests. Though the class does not always present the same variety of participants as it did on Thursday, it is structured to allow discussion on important issues and topics related to the class.
Scott said he believes engaging in this type of dialogue is key to developing an open and informed opinion.
“Your beliefs, your biases and your morals are tested,” Scott said. “It’s incredibly educational.”
@DrDreJose