State of Union speech doesn’t move students

Graphic by Grey Leman.
Graphic by Grey Leman.

Graphic by Grey Leman.
Graphic by Grey Leman.
President Barack Obama gave his annual State of the Union address on Tuesday, unveiling his plans for the upcoming year in sixty-five minutes.
President Obama addressed federal government policies on foreign affairs, education and renewal of the budget cut from last year.
For Landon Quintana, a senior in English, the agenda was nothing special.
“It’s the same old thing,” Quintana said.
Within his speech, President Obama said, “Wherever and whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, that’s what I’m going to do.”
Leslie Pierson, a junior in sociology and gender studies, said that she felt that this showed Obama is “getting a spine.” She said while the comment was a little frightening, it seemed maybe he was actually getting upset about some of the issues behind closed doors that the “other side of the aisle” are bringing up. However, Pierson worries about implementation of Obama’s plan.
“I liked a lot of what he said, but an actual plan is always good,” she said. “My impression was, it seemed like a lot of big ideas but not a lot of specifics.”
Hayden Wright, a junior in psychology, was not able to watch the State of the Union but said he hopes immigration reform will also be on Obama’s agenda for this year.
“[Congress] need[s] to realize that the only way is to compromise, is to come up with a moderate solution. So I’m doubtful,” Wright said.
The President also stated the United States could not be successful without paying women equal wages as men. Currently, the wage difference pays women 77 cents to the dollar that men make.
“In 2014, it’s an embarrassment,” Obama said.
Obama’s address also focused on his accomplishments within the office. He said the Affordable Care Act has led to more than nine million Americans signing up for health insurance through private sectors and Medicaid. Three million citizens under the age of 26 have gained insurance through their parent’s plan.
For Pierson it was a “civic duty to pay attention to [his speeches], so I know what people are talking about.”