Superb student cast brings ‘She Loves Me’ to life

Photo courtesy of The Department of Theater.

As the middle of February approaches, Valentine’s Day jitters creep into the lives of the hopeless romantics. In the spirit of romance, the Department of Theatre has created a smashing rendition of “She Loves Me.”
Running until Feb. 23 and taking stage at the Babcock Theatre, this musical depicts the love lives of employees at a cosmetics store. Set in the early 1930s, the story includes practically every whimsical, romantic notion in existence.
At Maraczek’s cosmetic store, Georg, Amalia and the other employees sell products and entertain costumers, all while maintaining their own personal lives and interacting with one another.
With an intricate storyline, “She Loves Me” takes you through just about every emotion on the love spectrum. It winds its way through a series of relationships filled with awkward encounters, the hesitation of approaching the one you love and the fear of being rejected. This all-consuming and completely confusing world of falling in love are brilliantly illustrated on the stage.
One of the play’s many endearing qualities is the stellar cast of U seniors that take center stage. Jason, Leah, Dylan Macdonald, Cooper Howell, John Nathan Stark, Connor Norton, Curtis Russell and Dylan Adams combine to create a phenomenal cast and true onstage chemistry.
Utilizing the equivalent of today’s online dating, Georg and Amalia connect through a “lonely hearts” ad in the newspaper and consequently become devoted letter-writers to one other. With the persona of “Dear Friend,” Georg and Amalia quickly fall in love and set a date to meet face-to-face.
Barney is outstanding as lead man, Georg. His wholehearted devotion to the character sweeps you up and leaves you tumbling about as he sings of his love for Amalia in “She Loves Me.” Barney also humors you with his awkward and relatable emotions when he prepares for his first date in the tune, “Tonight at Eight.”
Hassett is stunning as Amalia. Addressing the fear and embarrassing situations every one of us has encountered while searching for love, Hassett depicts Amalia’s headstrong courage and zest for life beautifully.
While she struggles in solo ballads, Hassett stuns singing in duos and with the ensemble. Her renditions of “I Don’t Know His Name” and “Vanilla Ice Cream” are hilarious and wonderfully done.
Howell and Norton are riveting together as on-and-off couple Kodaly and Ilona. Howell’s sheer passion and Norton’s portrayal of a swept-up girl is believable and riveting to watch.
Technical and production managers Kyle Becker and Barbara Sturgis have spearheaded a cast filled with vibrancy and artful talent who bring this story to life.
Apart from some incredibly uncomfortable background dancing, “She Loves Me” is flawless in every other way and is an absolute must see this Valentine’s season.