Tumbleweeds Film Fest has something for all

Jonathan Hickerson
Tumbleweeds, a film festival presented by The Utah Film Center, screened 250 films at various locations in Salt Lake city and Park City. Photo courtesy of Utah Film Center.

Inspiring creativity through films of all genres, the Utah Film Center hosted their fourth annual Tumbleweeds Film Festival this weekend.
“Tumbleweeds fosters the next generation of filmmakers and film fans that reaches beyond the mainstream,” said Patrick Hubley, Utah Film Center artistic director.
Tumbleweeds is a film festival geared toward children and youth, featuring films from all over the world and hosts locally produced films. Some of this year’s debuts included “The Lemonade Trade,” directed by Duane Anderson, “Estefan,” directed by Jeff Call, and “Almost Magic.” The last features the U’s Muggle Quidditch team as they strive to qualify for the 2013 Muggle Quidditch World Cup.
While the Tumbleweeds Film Festival takes place once a year, the Utah Film Center screens Tumbleweed films every month per their interactive and educational film program.
“We showcase films that are different than what is screening at the multiplex,” Hubley said.
With an emphasis on diversity, the Utah Film Center continuously facilitates discussions and conversations about the films and the media process. The center actively brings in directors and host seminars and film workshops to encourage diversity and creativity amongst the community.
“Emphasizing social content and artistic excellence, the Utah Film Center presents the best documentary, independent and dramatic cinema year-round to communities throughout Utah,” said Dana Hernandez, Utah Film Center communications coordinator.
The Utah Film Center screens over 250 free films a year at both the Rose Wagner Performing Arts Center and the Salt Lake City Library. The organization is incredibly apt for U students who are interested in pursuing any type of media interest or have a love for movies.
With free screenings each month, students can participate in discussions about the film world or simply enjoy a movie.
The Tumbleweed Films for this month are “Nocturna” and “Felix.”
“Nocturna,” directed by Víctor Maldonado and Adrià García, is an animated film that follows young Tim through nighttime adventures in an imaginative world. “Nocturna” will screen in Spanish this Friday.
“Felix,” directed by Roberta Durrant, is the audience award winner at the 2014 Tumbleweeds Film Festival. The film portrays the inspiring story of 14-year-old Felix Xaba, who overcomes numerous obstacles to achieve his musical dreams. “Felix” will be screened April 12, 18 and 19.