U Police continue search for library lot suspect

The incident occured in the parking lot west of the
Marriott Library.
The incident occured in the parking lot west of the Marriott Library.

Marriott Library.
An unknown man allegedly attempted to open the driver’s side door of a female student’s car on April 15.
The incident occurred just before 10:55 p.m. in the west Marriott Library parking lot. According to a U Police report, the woman left the library and walked to her parked car. Once inside, she locked the doors. The male suspect tried to open her door but was startled when the student honked and backed out of the parking stall. The report states the man then fled toward the Field House. The female student was not injured.
The victim described the male suspect as wearing a dark ski mask, with a scarf and in a dark hoodie and sweats. She said he had white or olive-colored skin.
Responding officers searched the surrounding area. At 2:30 a.m. on April 16, U Police filed a suspect report for a skateboarder near the stadium parking lot they felt matched the description. The man was wearing a black hoodie, a black ski mask with a skeleton on it and had black skin.
“This didn’t fit the description exactly, but was close enough that I included the individual as a suspect,” the police report stated.
A campus alert email was sent to students and faculty informing them of the incident. The email advised those on campus to be mindful of their surroundings and call U Police at (801) 585-COPS with related information or to report suspicious behavior.
It is unknown whether this case was sexually motivated or related to recent crimes on campus, such as the attempted kidnapping on Feb. 18 or the alleged rape on Jan. 22.
U Police Sgt. Garth Smith was unable to be reached for comment. The case is currently under investigation.
@CourtneyLTanner