UPC bowls over students with free food and fun

Chris Ayers
Students bowling in the Union on Wednesday during a UPC event. Photo by Chris Ayers.

As part of UPC Loves U week, students were encouraged to change their shoes and knock down some pins on Wednesday night.
The Union Programming Council hosted free bowling at the Crimson Commons in the Union “to show the students how much [UPC] love[s] them,” said Lacey Despain, director of UPC’s Community Service Board and a junior in strategic communication and business.
“We wanted to showcase the Union, since we are Union Programming Council, so we chose to do free bowling here at the Union,” Despain said.
Shreyas Choudhary, a freshman in computer science, said he heard about the event while hanging the posters for it as part of ASUU Marketing Board.
“We just came for fun. We’re not fantastic,” he said.
In Choudhary’s game, the highest score was a 90, bowled by Eric Bellan, a freshman in electrical engineering. The lowest score was Choudhary’s at 40 points. Choudhary and his bowling buddies used balls that were between 10 and 14 pounds. No one in the alley used bumpers on their lane.
Choudhary and his two friends ended up taking two lanes to bowl two games at once, since it was free and not many people stopped at the alley.
At the bowling alley, the shoes students are required to wear are usually a dull blue and white with some black. While these shoes did not complement many students’ outfits, the threat of a fashion faux pas did not stop anyone from participating.
“I think bowling shoes are gross, since I don’t know where they’ve been. Once I got brown shoes, and they just don’t match at all,” said Chris Dewey, a freshman in biology.
Most students came to the UPC table outside the alley to grab free pizza before leaving to class or other commitments. Nearly 15 of the 35 participants were UPC members who came to support and promote the event. The alley still erupted with applause when any player got a strike. The highest score that was bowled over the course of the event was a 143.
“And that’s how we bowl,” said Bridger Harris, UPC’s Freshman Ambassador Board director and a junior in marketing.
UPC is hosting a dodge ball tournament next Thursday that students could sign up for at the free bowling event. The next event in the UPC Loves U weeklong event is a spa night tonight.