Wilson cleared to resume football career

Travis Wilson looks for a reciever at a scrimage during spring camp.–Chris Ayers

Utah fans’ hearts skipped a beat last season when quarterback Travis Wilson fell to the turf in week nine against Arizona State. After leading the Utes to an upset victory over then-highly ranked Stanford a few weeks earlier, Wilson was on his way to a potentially special season until everything seemed to spiral downward.

The quarterback was first diagnosed with a concussion, but testing revealed Wilson had a pre-existing injury to his intracranial artery. His career was suddenly in jeopardy.

After a recent CT scan on June 20, it was shown that Wilson’s injury has remained stable since his last test and his football career can resume.

“I’m happy I’ve been cleared to play again,” Wilson said in a press release. “My condition is stable and the neurosurgeon predicted it will remain stable in the future. I had a feeling nothing would change from the previous scan, so I’ve been working to get back into shape. I feel totally comfortable about returning to football and full contact. I believe I’ve been playing with this condition for awhile and never even knew about it. I’m going to keep playing just the way I’ve always played. I knew something positive would come out of the whole thing.”

Just like loyal Utah followers everywhere, head coach Kyle Whittingham was excited to hear the news that his starting quarterback from last season is ready to go.

“Obviously, it’s great news that Travis has been medically cleared to play football again,” Whittingham said in a press release. “Travis’ health was our number one concern and we’re relieved for him and his family that he is OK.”

Wilson will enter fall camp as the No. 1 quarterback on the depth chart, but his starting position is far from guaranteed. The Utes have five other scholarship quarterbacks, including Oklahoma transfer Kendal Thompson. In addition to Thompson and Wilson, the quarterback battle will also include Adam Schulz (Wilson’s backup last season), Connor Manning, Brandon Cox and incoming freshman Donovan Isom.

Fall camp will begin on August 4.