Gionni Paul ready to make his Utes debut

Cornerback Dominique Hatfield prepares to make a goal line stand in the third quarter against the Fresno State Bulldogs.  Final score 59 - 27 Utah.

“Injury? What injury?”
Utah linebacker and Miami transfer, Gionni Paul wasn’t speaking of the Utes’ tight-lipped injury policy when he said those words. He was referring to his mental state after five months of rehab following a foot injury he sustained during spring ball. He is ready to play.
Paul’s timing couldn’t be more perfect. Starting linebacker Jason Whittingham will not be available for Saturday’s contest due to injury, which means the long awaited debut of the former Hurricane will be much needed.
“When [Whittingham] got hurt, I felt his pain,” Paul said. “But we have the next man in mentality. One soldier goes down, the next soldier up.”
The junior from Winter Haven, Fla. now finds himself as the next soldier. He feels he is prepared to step right in and contribute.
While rehabbing, Paul continually studied his playbook and now feels like he will be able to slip seamlessly into the Utes’ defense.
“I stayed in my playbook and stuff during the offseason and rehabbed 24/7,” Paul said. “Just getting back together with my teammates and having fun.”
One teammate who is excited to line up next to Paul is strong safety Brian Blechen.
“He’s instinctive,” Blechen said. “He’s a natural out here. He’s a great athlete, he’s tough and he’s got good instincts to get in the right spots. He’s not thinking too much out there — he just flies around. Having him out there this game could really help us, and I’m excited to play next to him.”
With Paul on the field, the Utes add another playmaker to a defense that has failed to force game changing plays. With Utah rolling over their first two opponents, the lack of takeaways has yet to affect the Utes. However, with the schedule toughening up, starting this week against Michigan, the defense will need to start creating turnovers in order for Utah to be successful.
“We got to go out there and play our game, have fun and play Ute ball,” Paul said. “As a defense, we are going to fly around and make plays.”
So what is Utah getting with Paul in at linebacker?
During his two years at Miami, he was named ACC Linebacker of the Week twice, and in 2012, his final season with the Hurricanes, he finished third on the team in tackles with 61, including 40 solo tackles.
Since the injury, Paul said he has been counting the days to when he could step foot on the football field again. His rehab has consisted of early morning trips to the training room and non-stop work.
Paul said he is at 100 percent but is continuing on the same rehab schedule.
“I still have my normal rehab schedule,” Paul said. “Playing this game, you get hurt — basically you’re in the training room the rest of [your] life. I have just accepted that. I wake up in the morning and love playing the game of football.”
Paul said he woke up each morning to a big clock on his wall with a picture of San Francisco 49ers star linebacker Patrick Willis on it. He used that image as motivation to make it back, and make it back fast.
“I had doubters who said maybe I can’t make it back, that this is a season-ending injury,” Paul said. “But I just grind my teeth, put my head down and grind.”
The countdown is nearly over for Paul as Saturday looms on the horizon.
“I just wake up and thank God that I came back as fast as I could,” Paul said.
Asked if he expected to be rusty after not playing a game since the 2012 season, Paul quickly responded, “No, sir, I was born to play this game.”
Or, as Paul says, “Injury? What injury?”
@millerjryan